25.6.08

On My Plate...



Last night was one of those nights...you know, the one when you look at the clock and realize it's 10pm already. And all I'd ate all day was some toast and leftovers for lunch. Plus my cupboards are looking pretty bare. That is where a fabulous cook book called Everyone Can Cook Midweek Meals by Eric Akis comes in. Eric is a local author..well, local to me - here in Victoria.

This is his delicious Quick Tomato Soup with Pesto and Feta, I made up a grilled cheese sandwich (two for my other half) and some cucumber. Presto! (or Pesto! haha!)

Am I allowed to tell you what's in it? Is there copyright against stuff like this? Well, I'll tell you anyways because it's so darn good & easy.

::1:: Saute a medium chopped onion and 2 cloves garlic in olive oil until tender

::1.b.:: If you're making grilled cheese sandwiches start cutting cheese, buttering bread and gettin them in a frying pan here.

::2:: Stir in 2T tomato paste & 2T flour, cook for 1-2 minutes over med heat. While stirring that mixture add 2 cups chicken stock (I looove this Not-Bullion stuff I have, I mix it with water and it's MSG free)

::3:: Add 28oz can of diced tomatoes, 1/2t sugar, and 3T pesto. Bring to a simmer and it go for 10 mins

Then the recipe says to puree the soup...but I was (a) lazy and didn't feel like food processing it and (b) like chunky soups. So go ahead and puree it...I loved it chunky. If you puree it then put it back on the stove and bring it to a simmer again.

::4:: Done! Serve in bowls, crumble some feta on top. I didn't have feta, so I stirred in a spoonful of Ricotta cheese. Yum!

My days of Campbells tomato soup are over. Plus the soup takes basically just as long as making grilled cheese sandwiches.

Love it.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home